Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Miley Cyrus - Bangerz




Bangerz features more artists than the Smithsonian. I’m talkin’ Britney Spears, Big Sean, Luda, Nelly, Future, and French Montana.  But that’s not what’s on my mind today. 

Y’all know I’m a lyric guy, I mentioned that in my very first review here.  Keeping my promise to expose you to some of the most profound, poetic, and beautiful lyrics on the scene in 2013, here is my gift to you, Bangerz by Miley Cyrus. Alright, let’s do this thang. 

I’m gonna start with “My Darlin’” ‘cuase that’s what’s bangin’ in my headphones right now.  This is the one that features Future. I don’t know who that is but Miley is all into this dude.  Forget hit songs, they’re already crafting high budget films together.  “Oh my darling stand by me,” sing Cyrus and Future in the lovely key of auto-tune, “‘cause we gon’ make a movie, a movie, and it’s gon’ be in 3D, in 3D”. 

The next track, the smash hit, pun intended, “Wrecking Ball” is by far the best moment on Bangerz, however, most tend to focus on the hauntingly beautiful visuals of the music video that it accompanies.  And this is precisely what separates the true artists from us regular people- when Miley Cyrus licks a sledgehammer it is art.  When I do it, I’m “wasted” and “have to leave Home Depot”. 

I enjoy when an artist mysteriously titles a song with something that has nothing to do with the lyrics, like the number sign I kept waiting to hear about in the chorus of “#GETITRIGHT”.  Turns out, there’s no mention of a number sign at all! Just like Bob Dylan’s “Suberteranean Homesick Blues”.  Exactly like that. 

“We Can’t Stop” twerk the world by storm this year.  And rightfully so.  It’s a perfectly crafted pop song, something Miley and her writers do very well.  Just one thing- Anyone know who this Molly chick is that Ms. Cyrus is always dancing with? Ringwald?  Shannon?

“Don’t you worry ‘bout me, I’mma do my thang,” Cyrus tells us in “Do My Thang”, and that is what I truly dig and respect about Miley Cyrus. This is someone who is doing what she wants to do, and she can’t stop, and she won’t stop.  And that is something we can all get behind Robin Thicke VMA style. 



Now if only I could have my senior yearbook photo to do all over again, I’d replace my Theodore Roosevelt quote with one of my favorite lines from Bangerz-
“You think I’m strange bitch? It’s bananas like a fucking ‘rangatang bitch” –Miley Cyrus




3 points for whoever can guess my Teddy Roosevelt quote!



6 comments:

  1. This album is BANGINZ but 'SMS (Bangerz)' (the song) is Salt N Peppa's Push it and not just inspired by Salt and Peppa as the producer Mike Miller has claimed after the fact,,, he straight Vanilla Iced that shit. AND this is going to sound crazy because it is crazy but FU is GD MF CCR's 'I Put A Spell On You' !!!!! what? Vanilla ain't got shit on Milla! Here's a big stretch just because i feel like i'm on a roll, 'Wrecking Ball' sounds a lot like Gotye's 'Somebody that I used to know.' ok i'll stop, i like the album but I like all the original songs betterz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!!
      you had me 'til Gotye. although both songs sound like the singer is dying so i'll give ya that.
      'SMS (Bangerz)' is just one note off 'Push It' so it's all good in the hood.

      Delete
  2. Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground. - Teddy

    ReplyDelete