Saturday, February 15, 2014

Temples - Sun Structures



Calling all flower children! It's here: an album that was made within the past twenty years that successfully revisits the semi-psychodelic, rock-centric vibes of yesteryear. No - it isn't exactly a fresh or original sound. Yes - it is as trippy as what I imagine the 60's used to be. 
I had a prediction when I first heard Temples' debut single "Shelter Song". This will be the album of Summer 2014.  "Shelter Song" immediately reminded me of the early Beatles. In some measure, I scoffed - ' Oh give me a break. ' Then the hits just kept coming. "Colours to Life" was released and I was swept away. This song is a Kaleidoscope of sound. I played it on repeat and purchased each teasing single that I possibly could thereafter. I search the inter webs forensically for album updates. I was crushed when I read that Temples would only be focusing on their tour through the UK during the fall - and that they would be denying me the pleasure of a full length album! The nerve.
Then Instagram (the patron saint of good social media) shed an angelic light on the release of Sun Structures. 
If its worth noting; Noel Gallagher was quoted as calling the Kettering band the "best new band in Britain." Sun Structures reads like a thoroughly researched history thesis; sifting through throw backs and tipping hats to the Byrds. Donning skinny jeans, fur lined coats, and hair that is almost too big for British boys, Temples could easily be mistaken for a band who was just freed from a time capsule. 



Not an inch of any track is neglected in Sun Structures. Each second is packed with SOUND recorded on vintage equipment. It's metallic, malleable guitar riffs, jangling beats, warped notes will leave you feeling euphoric, tripped out, and wanting more. If Sun Structures doesn't make you (on some level) want to find a field, disrobe, and dance around, then you're wrong.  By the time festivals are well under way, you'll already be in the know about that cool new band that everyone is hooping and noodling to. 
Get naked.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment