Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Let's Be Still by the Head and the Heart



I apologize for my perpetual lateness.  I received a Dennis text and come to you with my review!

So I was very excited to find out since the November reviews that a new the Head and the Heart album sneaked out in October of this year without me knowing it (courtesy of Sub Pop).  I have their first album on vinyl because I was so convinced.  For those of you without past knowledge of this band, here's something from their first (self-titled) album:




hows that brick lane coming? how's your engine running?
is that bridge getting built? are your hands getting filled?



But forget about the old album, let's talk about the new album. And a good start, is this:
 


Charity Rose Thielen (Charity is to the Head and the Heart as Binki Shapiro is to Little Joy), female background vocals and violinist of the band, has her own spotlight on this new album. I'm still debating how I feel about it (what's with the weird squealing?).  

When I got to the last song (Gone), I knew it was gonna be an epic goodbye song lyrically (and literally) and when I glanced down and saw the it was over 6 minutes I was like, YUP. And it doesn't disappoint (Gone are the days when the wind would brush my face / gone are the days when you're the wind)

And lucky for you, their SoundCloud account has the entire album streaming.  If you like folksy pop music (heavy on the tambourine and piano) then go for it.  


2 comments:

  1. I procrastinated as well and was going to review this same album. However, I still have not had the chance to listen to all of it. Their first album is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are the best kind of texts.

    ReplyDelete