Monday, December 16, 2013

Adam Green and Binki Shapiro

Released February 4th 2013

Bringing you the hippest new new and only ten months late late. Caught wind of this ruby two days ago and am riding the coat tails of someone else's best of 2013 list by sharing it here. I'm okay with it.  The first and second songs are my apology to which you will respond with very gracious forgiveness and thanksgiving. I believe anyway. 






I don't know how hard these two tried to make this album sound like it was recorded in some dive circa 1965 but I think it's accurate to say "hard as shit". It's kind of like the many two-fers that came before them. Carter and Cash. Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris. Lee and Nancy. Kermit and Piggy. But what they really are is Adam and Binki. 

She's super hip because she was in that band Little Joy with that guy from The Spokes and the guy from Las Hermanas. He's super hip for writing that song that Paulie Bleeker sang at the end of that movie with the pregnant high-schooler. And together... Bleeker just came in his pants. 
Too much hip for my jeans!

Shapiro has a voice that makes you respond "but I do!" when she coos 'With jealousy as my witness/ You know I do it best/ There's no other way to say it/ Why don't you love me yet?' (If you want me to). Green's is a nice compliment to her's with its rough edges and Cash-esque enunciation. They are both inviting with the promise of excellent party favors. 

For the most part, it's a back-and-forth between two lovers without much to be sweet about; capping the album with his and her lines "She wants to end it all, lying here next to me" and "How many nights must I suffer quietly". (that use of semi-colon can't be grammatically correct. anyone?) A shot of life for you all. 

I wish I'd found it sooner. I'm glad I found it now. I hope you all find it as sweet a treat as I did. 

with love

Dennis



1 comment: