Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Portugal. the man - Evil Friends

Released May 31, 2013

I know I know I know, this was soo last Spring. It rained constantly. I had no real grasp of time or current events, I was busy trying to stay dry. 

Alaska is as well known for great soft rock bands as it is for Bullwinkle J. Moose from the critically acclaimed reality TV show 'The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show'. Well step aside Mr. Moose, Portugal. the man is on the loose. (zing) 

These eskimos have been around for just short of a decade and I don't know what they sounded like when they started out but I've really enjoyed them for the past four years. In fact People Say (lead off track on The Satanic Satanist (what's that all about?)) has been in steady rotation in my head for the past four years. If you have no experience with these mushers, check it out. 

I don't know that this pack of grizzly bears has ever put much weight in lyrical content or at least I'm sure these songs mean something to the spawning salmon, just not to this brown thrasher. And I like it. I know I rambled on last month about Typhoon's large meaty soul gripping lyrics and their importance to the albums overall effect on me but this month I just want to feel good, mindlessly. And how couldn't it feel good with fellow Georgian Brook Trout (only trout native to georgia) Danger Mouse at the helm of this Bering Sea crabbing boat? Answer: no need, you know it feels good. In fact the lead caribou says he just wants to be 'Purple Yellow Red and Blue.' Sounds druggy. Drugs feel good. It's a theme. Kind of like these animals I keep harping on.

This album is random and inconsistent but when he says 'I don't want to talk about the war, I just want to smile, smile some more' you're going to be like 'mmmmmh, yea me too.' It feels like it might be a throw back but it's not. It feels like it might be a straight forward indie rock album but it's not. It's got enough shakeup to keep you on your toes and enough not-shake-up to keep you comfy. But when it comes down to it, they're just 'Bullwinkle's in a t-shirt, jeans, and I don't fuckin care'

With love,
Dennis

4 comments:

  1. "I'm sure these songs mean something to the spawning salmon, just not to this brown thrasher"

    duuuude, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered "Evil Friends" is great to run to. Good shit babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I created a "Portal. The Man" radio station on iTunes radio - it's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. liking this more with every listen. hip hop kids is my jam.

    ReplyDelete