Saturday, October 26, 2013

Born Ruffians - Birthmarks



What? No way, Luke's actually writing a review?! Bullshit!

Nope. It's the absolute truth. The moment you've all been waiting for, breath held in quiet, trembling anticipation, scarcely daring to allow yourselves to hope, has arrived at long last. 

I've had this album in mind and have been planning on writing this review since August. Birthmarks is the third studio album from Born Ruffians, indie rockers from the Great White North (that's Canada, to the lay person). And you know what? It's fuckin' snappy. I dig it. 



Needle is not only the first track on the album, it is the clear front runner in my somewhat-less-than-humble opinion. It opens with a semi a capella vocal intro that reminds one instantly of Fleet(ing) Foxes, but quickly throws that feeling out the back window when the rest of the band come in with a simple, super fun and catchy musical dynamic that makes you wanna move like a freaky white boy for the rest of the tune. Seriously, I can't stop listening to this song, which means I can't stop moving like a freaky white boy. It's becoming a problem. 



Lyrically, Needle just makes me happy. It shouts hope and assurance in the face of lost anonymity, with the vocal progeny of that guy from Fleet Foxes and the other guy from Band of Horses. And it's got great analogies, like the opening line, "I belong to no one/like the watermelon/rolling with momentum/spitting out its seeds," and the first line of the chorus, "Needle in the hay/lost but in my place/hope I never have to sow again." And I love the subtle pun of that last line.

Anywhoozle, this album isn't just about the first track. Most of the album is upbeat, catchy and an all-around good time. There's one or two slow jams in there, as well, like Golden Promises, the albums sixth track. And things even turn from the positive with track number eight, So Slow

Without a doubt, this has been my favorite discovery of the last few months and I'm glad I finally got around to sharing it with you fine-feathered friends of mine. And Dennis. 

Top tracks include, but are not limited to: Needle, Ocean's Deep, Cold Pop, With Her Shadow. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed 'Red, Yellow & Blue' from them quite a bit. Can't wait to listen... and, of course, dance like a freaky white boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! And Dennis. Definitely hear Fleet Foxes at first, then a little Vampire Weekend in the chorus. Definitely dig it. Also, that pun is anything but subtle. Dig that too. Been waiting for your review and it lived up to my expectations. Come back next month!

    ReplyDelete