Monday, October 14, 2013

Lorde- Pure Heroine



Released September 2013

This album is crazy catchy y'all. 

I usually get annoyed when a band I like, something I discover on an indie radio station or the internet, starts getting major play on the top 20 radio stations. You start to hear them on every car commercial, in restaurants, and every time you get in the car. That song you loved is now your enemy, and you dread hearing it. But in this case, I think it's pretty awesome.

This girl (Ella Yelich-O'Connor, stage name Lorde, from New Zealand) is only 16!! She was discovered by an agent when she was 12, and signed to Universal by 14. Her songs are playing everywhere on indie stations and top 20 radio. Everyone loves her, and I'm happily hanging out on that bandwagon.

"Royals", the first single from the album, is the breakout hit. It's one of those songs you love to sing- so catchy, clever, and light-hearted. An easy song to like.

The album starts out with "Tennis Court"- sultry and slow in the beginning but it picks up fast and the chorus hooks you. "We're so happy, even when we're smiling out of fear." The subject matter throughout this album is equal parts teen and old soul. There are times when you realize her age, and plenty of times when you sort of shake your head at her clever musings and beyond-her-years knowledge of the world. Not to mention her uncanny ability to turn a phrase. This girl is like no 16-year old I've ever met.

Ray says Lorde is too "Britney Spears" for his taste. He hears all the pop notes, sees a young girl and can't get past it. For me, I hear clever lyrics, an interesting hip-hop meets pop meets indie artist with a lot to say. And I can't help but be impressed with her. I was really surprised when I heard she was just 16. The maturity in her voice and her lyrics really disguise her age. I'm interested to see if she sticks around, and what she'll do next.

6 comments:

  1. Is she the third most popular 16 year old pop sensation in New Zealand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I first heard "Royals" close to a year ago on XM radio. I told everyone about it and now everyone knows. I told my students about her at the beginning of the school year and none of them had heard of her. Now that pop radio has picked it up they all think I am a hipster for liking something before it was cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian you're a total hipster. She's a little badass. I'm glad the world knows about her!

      Delete
    2. kind of a chicken/egg issue here Brian. Did you like it before it was cool or is it cool because you liked it. whoa.

      Delete
  3. I’m kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air

    ReplyDelete