Sunday, September 15, 2013

Shakey Graves - Roll the Bones

Artist: Shakey Graves
Album: Roll the Bones
Released: January 2011



This is an interactive review. I'm going to take you on a journey of how this guy came to be my pick for September. Your first adventure: Watch the live recording below. Do not continue reading without doing so. If you continue reading without watching this video, you have failed. (additional instructions for expert level: put your headphones on, click through to YouTube, and full screen this bitch. Around 2:40 and beyond is where shit.gets.real.)





The first time I heard Shakey Graves (aka Alejandro Rose-Garcia) was the song "Proper Fence" on an 8tracks mix. Didn't pay much attention, added it to the song list I keep if I think an artist is good for future exploration. While preparing for the September music choice, I chose him by random.  He'd been on the list long enough (wasn't that impressed by Proper Fence), it was time.  Then I watched his Audiotree live recording of "Roll the Bones" and thought, "Hm...now I'm curious." The above video was my second choice view, and I was just blown away by it.  I thought "WHAT THE FUCK AM I LISTENING TO, WHY DID I JUST NOW FIND THIS."  I hope you felt similarly ("Gonna kiss you so good you go weak in the knees" Like, COME ON).  His 2011 album Roll the Bones is streaming for free (follow me this way!) and you can buy the album via the name-your-price route. How perfect is that?   

He has a ton of live recordings, all of which are marvelous (I suggest starting with all of the Audiotree recordings...there are, I think, four of them?).  Now, his recorded album is just as lovely but a different beast entirely.  More laid back but tactful.  He makes it sound minimal but full at the same time, if you know what I mean.  It's like Devendra Banhart but waaaaaay catchier. You'll see.

Fun fact: He is currently on the road this month with Shovels & Rope.  How about that? I would love to see that show.  

Let me know what you guys think

Cassidy N. Thigpen

5 comments:

  1. cool video. cool song. gracias!
    that's the best use of the kick drum/tambo i've seen so far.
    checkin' out the album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I thought you might like his one man band! I can't believe he's able to keep up with two feet moving, playing the guitar, and singing.

      Delete
  2. What a fun review! I listened to the album while I got ready for work this morning. Put me in a fun mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like his face. Ahem, I mean voice. And his pants/boots combo. I really liked that song so can't wait to check out the rest of the album.

    ReplyDelete