Monday, September 16, 2013

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Alabama Shakes
“Boys & Girls”

“Bless my heart, Bless my soul.”  Damn you Athens…Alabama.  Alabama Shakes began in a high school Psychology class in Athens, AL.  When I first heard the rave reviews of their live shows I assumed they were from the neighboring Georgia’s Classic City.  The opening track, “Hold On” is bound to be the breakthrough hit for this band.  It is now getting play on top 40 radio which would typically make me cringe for the loss of a truly original band with a solid freshman effort. 
            What is not to love about a rock band with a female lead singer who demands attention with her powerful, soulful voice?  If you were unfamiliar with this band you might think they are a Jack White side project.  Brittany Howard is a real talent as evidenced by her multiple guest appearances with the likes of My Morning Jacket and Drive By Truckers to name a few.  The album itself is not as rocking as the opening track but the soul of Alabama is on full display throughout the eleven tracks.  One can listen to the album and think the band would hail from the noted soul city of Muscle Shoals.  To get a good idea of what this band will sound like for years to come, check out “You Ain’t Alone.”  My God, Brittany, you have soul!  As the song builds, so does Brittany’s strong vocal range.  It goes down well with the mean guitar hooks and a good cup of coffee. 
            Alabama Shakes recorded “Boys & Girls” with little money but loads of fanfare.  The end result is an great first album from a band destined for stardom.  Some may think they are already there.  If you watched the band on SNL you will be able to make your own decision.  What say you?  Rock on kids.


Brian Killips

2 comments:

  1. "I bought the album the same day I bought The Walkmen - Heaven. I gotta say it was a good day." - Ice Cube
    but really it was me buying those albums not Ice Cube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see where they take things on the follow up album.

    ReplyDelete