Friday, August 16, 2013

The Neighbourhood - I Love You





Artist: The Neighbourhood
Album: I Love You
Release Date: April 23, 2013

While listening to the album, you should feel either a) badass b) sexy or c) like a sexy badass.  Like the xx but masculinized and cranked up a few notches, I Love You exudes a smoky indifference.  The album, released in April, is the first full-length from west coast band The Neighbourhood.  The LA Times said it, and I have to agree, that with this album, The Neighbourhood has a chance at being an alternative cross over to mainstream radio (think: Imagine Dragons), especially considering its ties to Columbia Records. 

Quick album rundown:

The first song “How” starts off slow and sets the tone for the rest of the album: heavy on the background vocal distortions and stiff electric drum beats.  Lead singer Jesse Rutherford immediately sells his ability to maneuver his voice with the music rather than work against it.  The album follows up with its second song “Afraid” in a style that I like to call white boy rap.  It’s more like singing words than rapping, but still has the effect of making you feel cool as shit.  The album is solid from beginning to end and I was hard-pressed to find a weak spot.  Though the album should be listened in its entirety from beginning to end, if you want a quick taste for the album, start with “Let It Go” (I’m calling for it to be the second release), “Female Robbery, “Alleyways, and “W.D.Y.W.F.M.          

The album’s flagship single Sweater Weather incorporates the smoky coolness of the rest of the album and, according to Rolling Stone, managed to reach the number one spot on Billboard’s alternative chart.  Though it’s not my favorite song from the album, I can see the appeal of being the first release.  One of the more overtly sexual songs on the album (because, let’s face it, the whole album subtly/not-so-subtly screams that whoever’s listening should bang it out), Sweater Weather is one of those songs that you can dance to at the bar while putting out the vibe.  But surprisingly, the song breaks mid-way in, dropping the high electrics to make room for an acoustic guitar.  You’ll find this style throughout the rest of the album – build-ups, take downs, and switch ups.  Though the album borders on formulaic from song to song, it’s a formula that obviously works.  I’m not too sure about the bands obsession with only being shot in black & white, but neck and hand tattoos already indicate questionable decision making abilities.  

So put this album on and practice your sexy dance moves.  Or make out to it.  These are your only options.

Cassidy 

6 comments:

  1. badass sexy make out dance coming right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make out WHILE practicing sexy dance moves. Why choose. I'm halfway through the album (feelin' sexy already).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this album! Definitely addicted. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I just fixed all the horrible mistakes I glossed over with my first edit :) Yay for music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I’m not too sure about the bands obsession with only being shot in black & white, but neck and hand tattoos already indicate questionable decision making abilities."

    Zing!

    Enjoyin' it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I have been ignoring this band for the last couple of months, but clearly I've been missing out. Gonna check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete