Wednesday, August 14, 2013

JASON ISBELL
“Southeastern”

I first saw Drive-By Truckers in 2004 and, honestly, I could not believe I’d not seen them before.  Whiskey bottles and endearing songs about my beloved South immediately pulled me as close to the stage as I could get.  Within that first hour, Jason Isbell belted out Outfit and I thought it was the best song I had ever heard.  That show meant so much to me but if you were to ask Isbell, he would probably not remember any of it.  Eight years later, Isbell’s “Southeastern” will have his fans moving beyond the drunken gigs of the past and optimistically focusing on his sober capabilities and the future. 
            “Southeastern” is Isbell’s attempt, intentional or not, to separate himself from his days with Drive-By Truckers.  The highlight of the album is the ballad Elephant.  Isbell’s songwriting ability is on full display as he describes a friend’s battle with cancer and not wanting them to be alone.  The song is reminiscent of old-school crooner-country- Elephant sounds like it could have been written and performed by Johnny Cash. This is what country music would be like today if it hadn’t lost its way and will make all the talentless pop-country wannabes wish they could write a truly meaningful song, sans cheesy clichés. 
            Super 8, along with Flying Over Water, the only rockers on the album may feel a bit out of place, but they remind us Isbell can still rock just as easily as he can croon with his trademark Southern drawl.  Isbell is still a rock star but this is really a poetic album.  It showcases what Isbell does best, telling stories. 
Southeastern is Isbell’s most sincere album.  It’s loaded with introspection and achingly beautiful lyrics and is, quite simply, Isbell’s best work.  It makes me grateful he was able to mature as an artist after leaving Drive-By Truckers.  I will always love his former band but I can now clearly enjoy his solo work just as much. 






Brian Killips




7 comments:

  1. Welp, I'm gonna need to listed to this album now. You sold me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so talented and is destined for the big time. I recommend him to all of the country fans I know to show them what country could be like if it didn't suck so badly! He is the Dogfish Head to Country's Bud Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that analogy is far too polite, brian! i think they're in keystone light territory these days.

      Delete
  3. Damn good review for a damn good album. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Keystone may even be too gracious for that BS!

    ReplyDelete